Monday, 26 May 2014

MUA Lipsticks and Swatches


When I fist heard of Make Up Academy, a £1 makeup range, I was sooo excited. It must have been around 3 or 4 years ago now when all their products retailed at £1, I've tried various products out such as their blushers, concealers, eyeshadows and nail polishes but for some crazy reason I've never bought any of their lipsticks, and they're just £1. I've seen mixed reviews on these lipsticks, but for £1 it is a great way to expand your lipstick collection if you're on a budget. I chose 5 from their lipstick range which have a satin/cremesheen finish which are all in the black packaging. They do have a matte range but I find matte lipsticks drying, and seen as though summer is coming up I thought I needed some lightweight 'summery' lipsticks - especially as I am trying to break my tendency for dark lips habit.







I definitely prefer these lipsticks in their black packaging to the white ones, mainly because they look more expensive and classy and also fit in with my MAC lipsticks in my collection. The one thing which has really impressed me though is the little pot at the bottom of the tube and this is for two reasons. Firstly you can see which shade it is without having to look at the side to see the name or take all the lids off, and if you unscrew it you have a little pot of extra product which you can use with a lip brush which saves getting your lipstick messy with a brush, or if you ever run out you always have a bit extra..hats off to MUA for this 100%.

Left to right: Shade 15 Juicy,Shade 16 Nectar, Shade 4, Shade 11, Shade 13.

As for pigmentation these lipsticks are brilliant, you can see how vibrant the colours are from just one swatch on my arm. For £1 this is insanely impressive and I honestly want to go buy all 16 of the shades. You could pretty much pay the same price of all 16 lipsticks for one lipstick from MAC, for probably the exact same pigmentation - maybe an exaggeration, I don't think any lipstick brands can beat MAC. I have seen reviews how the darker colours tend to bleed around the lips, but this can be easily resolved with a lip liner (MUA do matching lip liners for only £1) and also I don't think their staying power will be as long as MAC's or other high end products but for £1 they're pretty damn good and you can easily fit the sleek packaging in to your purse or clutch to top up throughout the day.


The first shade I picked up was shade number 4, which from the tube and this photo appears to be a bright barbie pink colour which is perfect for the warmer weathers. Like I have said, I'm definitely not a pink lipstick wearer, but as you can see from the swatch this appears as one of those 'your lips but better' shades. It compliments the colour pigments in your lips and just gives a light pink shine to your lips, I would definitely recommend mixing this one with other colours similar however if you are looking for a full barbie pink look.


The second shade I got was shade number 13, which is a gorgeous classic red with pink undertones. I think this is so beautiful because of the pink undertones which give a really summery look to your lips. You can see how incredibly pigmented this colour is, and it was surprisingly really easy to apply.


Next I picked up shade 16 which has its own name of 'Nectar', my camera doesn't focus well on lipsticks so the true colour isn't really showing here but the swatch definitely picks up its true colour. This shade is the perfect coral for summer, and again applies really easily to the lips - this is the kind of shade which can be paired with a very neutral eye, or a smoking evening look.


I have heard so many good things about this shade from MUA that I just couldn't miss the opportunity to grab it while it was in stock. This is shade 15 'Juicy' which is such a pretty light peach. Again, I can't really fault this shade it's perfect to just throw in your back to take away on holiday to be used on the beach just to add a pop of colour to your lips.

I am so pleased with MUA's lipstick range, from first impressions I really think I am going to be going back for the rest of the collection! These are perfect if you're on a budget, or even if you just want to increase your lipstick collection, for only £1 you can't say no at all.

Have you tried MUA's lipsticks? What do you think? What are your
favourite MUA products?
xxxx

Follower

Blogroll