Thursday, 5 March 2015

Your Space | Being a Small Fish in a Big Pond: Blogging


You may remember a little while ago, I started a series of posts called 'Your Space', including blogging tips and tips for improving your lifestyle in a positive way. The posts proved really popular so I wanted to write another today, and its all about being a smaller blogger in such a big community with massive competition. Using the word 'competition' probably isn't the best word to use, and that is one of my points - it shouldn't be seen as a competition, but the fact is, a lot of the time it is.

When I was younger, blogging was something which was not in any way shape or form as popular as it is now. I started watching Youtube videos when I was about 12/13 and there weren't that many Youtubers making beauty and fashion videos, and the ones who were weren't seen or branded as 'celebrities'. I have no problem with this (now that many are recognised as famous) or the fact that it is a job for many people - after all, who said a job had to be boring? I do believe both bloggers and Youtubers work very hard and are underestimated. Everyone has their own individual reasons for blogging, and whether its just a hobby, or a hobby that has successfully developed into a job, there is still an element of  anxious competition within the community. 
I personally blog to use it as a creative outlet, I am a very creative person and when I'm studying three academic A levels it pretty much most of the time drains all my energy. I've also, like I mentioned, have watched Youtube and read blogs for years and really wanted to start my own when I felt like I was confident enough to - it is definitely the best decision I have ever made, I love blogging! 

Sometimes I get nervous about certain types of posts, how people are going to react and if it is going to be successful on my blog. Being a smaller blogger, some posts are really successful and others aren't - but I think that's what the fun is about, establishing what it is your readers really enjoy and then being able to deliver it each time you write. I've just posted my first Youtube video (you can watch it here), which was so nerve wracking for me because although I've wanted to do it for a long time, it is (and many others would agree) a scary thing to do.

I wanted to share my tips on being a 'small fish in a big pond' and what motivates me to keep my blog going when I feel like its going a bit rubbish and I'm not feeling like my content is on point...

1) My first tip is the obvious one I mention all the time, it is really easy to compare yourself to others. I do it all the time, in reality and in the blogging community - I think there is only myself and another girl from my school who write a blog, so there isn't any blog competition going on at school. But comparing yourself to anyone is the easiest way to stop yourself from achieving what you really want to, I know because even I do it (I think everyone does). Although is is obvious, you have to be yourself because that is what will come through to your readers and make them want to engage in your blog more, this will build up a loyal fan base.

2) Secondly, think about why you are blogging. I mentioned above that I blog for a creative outlet, which is true. But since I have been blogging (just over a year now) it has helped me discover my career path and helped me chose what I want to do at University in September. Now I work much harder on my blog than I did before which has gained me more followers and views, but that doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. 

3) Finally, if you feel anxious about not knowing anyone in the community make sure you get involved with blogger chats on Twitter - here are some you can follow: jennypurrblog and fashbeautylife. Blogger chats are the best way to get involved with the community and everyone is so lovely, I have met and spoken to some really lovely people. Also, there are tons of blogger Facebook groups you can join and share your posts on, and there will also be ones for bloggers in your area which post information about events which may be happening near you.

Hopefully this has helped give a little confidence boost to those smaller bloggers, or even bigger bloggers who lack inspiration and confidence sometimes! After all, we all worry sometimes!
Leave your top three tips in the comments box, I would love to know how you get your blog motivation back when you're lacking a bit.

Katherine x





Follower

Blogroll